Every week at 8:15 PM
We send out an email; five images and a little text to keep you in the loop. If you would like to sign-up to receive the Six Pips bulletin please click here – Schofield news bulletin sign-up. The content of these pages contain an archive of observations and forecasts, watchmaking, British commentary, Sussex beauty, manufacture, engineering, design, poetry and amusement. Schofield executes all it does by thinking and the Six Pips is no exception. We are proud to be a very British watch company and this is our history of watchmaking.
Why The Six Pips?
The Greenwich Time Signal (GTS), popularly known as the pips, is a series of six short tones broadcast at one-second intervals by many BBC Radio stations. The proposal for a time signal came from one Frank Hope-Jones in a radio talk in April 1923. It was agreed that broadcasting the Greenwich Standard Time with a chronometer at the Royal Observatory tripping a switch at five seconds to the hour to create those iconic pips – using a 1kHz oscillator. The time signal was first broadcast at 9.30 p.m. on 5 February 1924. There are six pips (short beeps) in total, which occur on the 5 seconds leading up to the hour and on the hour itself. Each pip is a 1 kHz tone (about halfway between musical B5 and C6) the first five of which last a tenth of a second each, while the final pip lasts half a second. The actual moment when the hour changes – the “on-time marker” – is at the very beginning of the last pip. Our weekly bulletin is made up of five short posts and a snippets section outlining minor news.
This Pips has a ‘services provided’ flavour which is cool but a little bland so what better than a discount to start! Great news! The classic GILESISGENEROUS strap sale is now on! For one week you can enjoy the entire strap collection with a 20% discount with the code GILESISGENEROUS. Also, some long sold out straps are back in stock like the Dark Grey Tweed.SWC
All companies with mailing lists are expected to see an enormous reduction of subscribers when the old mailing lists need to be deleted on the 25th of May. We cannot by law move your email addresses across to the new list. If you enjoy the Six Pips then you must do this yourself. Here is the link, click it, sign up. As some sort of encouragement, or perhaps blackmail depending on how you look at it, if the new list does not accrue enough subscribers then the Six Pips is under threat!SWC
Recently, we have undertaken a course in Lean. There is a chap we meet in SalonQP every year since 2011 who is an expert in Lean and he visited us from Belgium to explain this amazing philosophy. As a small company I am proud to say that we employ Lean on many levels intuitively but there is always room for improvement. Lean is a set of management principles, tools and methods that has proven itself in many of the world’s best performing companies and looks to eliminate all kinds of waste with customers and employees at its centre. In short, it is a commitment to improving jobs and processes to create value. Now, it’s given us a ton of new jobs to do but all of them are exciting because they will improve our company in some way. Don’t get me started on filing emails! Anyway, if you or your organisation would like to be put in contact with our Lean specialist then please drop us an email.SWC
Great news! We now do a formalised layaway payment scheme. It’s very simple, you pay eleven monthly instalments towards a watch that will be delivered on receipt of settlement. Terms and conditions apply. Please don’t hesitate to email us if this is of interest to you. Easyfiying purchases!SWC
As we develop the Obscura and all of the maybes solidify, we have opened a pre-order list. No deposits required, just genuine interest in a manual wind, ceramic cased, creatively dialled wristwatch priced around £8200 including VAT, £6900 without VAT (everywhere outside Europe). If you’d like to be on this list because you’re genuinely interested then pop us an email. Please keep an eye on the Undercurrents website because developments in this watch’s progress often end up there.SWC
“It is to be noted that when any part of this paper appears dull there is a design in it.” – Richard SteelSWC
- UNDERCURRENTS gets its own website! Visit this secret lair!
- New DLC buckles have arrived – ask us.
- Accessories are gone but not forgotten. However if you had your heart set on something let us know – we still have some bits.
- Thinking about adding a Daymark Dark to the Markers family.
- The Obscura… to be obscure visit Undercurrents.info for info.
- New layaway payment scheme!
- New members only page coming to the website! That is for all of you that have a watch!
- Pic is of the Markers case used for both the Daymark and the Telemark. The crown is engraved with the Unicode map symbol for a lighthouse. What a crown, what a case! Thanks for the photo Watches of Instagram!
- We at Schofield have always believed that it’s essential that people who love what we do as much as we enjoy doing it should receive the special glimpse behind the curtain that is the Six Pips. Whether you’ve been with us from the start or are a relative newcomer to Schofield it’s important to us that you are completely happy with what you receive in your inbox.Now due to some Byzantine changes in privacy laws we will be obligated to delete our mailing list in the next few weeks. Rest assured that we have created a new sign-up form which will enable you to re-subscribe to the Six Pips so that we can stay in contact with you. Obviously, we don’t share your details with anyone else and you’ll only get what we’ve always given you, all six of the Pips.Let me recap, if you want to get this newsletter in the future you will have to sign up again, the link is below. We apologise for the inconvenience but it is wholly not our fault.Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.SWC